BC Log Building School – Course Information
Find out more about our dovetail log building courses and saddle notch log building courses in Golden, BC:
- A lunch and any desired snacks as well as ample drinking water to last the 8 hour day. (log building is hard physical work…)
- Rain jacket
- Sun screen
- Balance of course fees
- Chainsaw 30-60 cc (in safe working order) 16”-20” bar length is best, over 20” bar is not recommended
- Full safety gear. Steel toe boots, saw pants/chaps, eye protection, ear protection, hard hat, work gloves.
- 2′ level
- Carpenters Square
- Chalk Line (red or blue chalk)
- Knife (large yellow Olfa is best)
- 1” or larger Chisel
- Notebook & pencil
- Log Scribes **Optional for dovetail courses, see note below**
- Camera (optional but recommended)
** Log Scribes are an important tool for accurate marking and layout in the log building industry. They are a fairly expensive tool. ($150.00 and up) For dovetail log building you can get by without having log scribes but layout is more efficient and accurate when using scribes. If you think you will be building a house or cabin after the course I would recommend buying scribes, if you are unsure or just taking the course for interest it isn’t necessary to purchase scribes. I have several sets that can be used. I use Starrett 9” log scribes available online through Magard ventures. logbuildingtools.ca I find the Veritas scribes that are available through Lee Valley tools a lit bit bulky for log building but certainly do the job and are cheaper. Having your own set of log scribes for the round log building courses is necessary. I do have a couple of extra sets available for use so check with me if you would prefer not to purchase a set.
Smoking is permitted only on the road outside the log building yard please. (Fire safety, lots of sawdust….)
We love dogs but please leave your pets at home.
If you have any questions regarding the course, specific tools or where to buy tools please contact us.
The log building course will be held at the Stonehouse Woodworks log yard in Donald BC. (15 mins west of Golden on the Trans Canada Highway)
Directions from Golden: Head West on the Trans Canada Highway, approx 15 mins until you reach the highway truck scales. Pass the scales and take your next right on Donald RD, then another immediate right on Dejordie Rd. will bring you to our gate. Parking is available outside of the gate.
Directions from Revelstoke: Head East on the Trans Canada Highway, over Rogers pass and towards Golden. About 20 minutes before you reach Golden and just after you cross the large highway bridges over the Columbia River and the train tracks, there will be a turning lane to your left for Donald Rd. Turn left onto Donald Rd, then an immediate right onto Dejordie Rd. will bring you to our gate. Parking is available outside of gate.
- 2 day courses run on Saturday and Sundays
- 5 day courses run from Monday to Friday
- Courses run from 9:00am-5:00pm
- Please note that there is an 8:30 arrival time on the first day to take care of paperwork prior to course
You can find a wide range of accommodations on the Tourism Golden Website
There is a campground located walking distance from our log yard.
Campers Haven RV and Tent Park, Donald, BC (250) 340-8482
Click here for an Overview about the British Columbia School Of Log Building
Click here for Course Registration